08 July, 2010

Concrete Dust

My basement has been full of concrete dust lately, thanks to my hard working hubby finding the water leakage in the basement and finding a solution. I have been so blessed by his diligence and perseverance in this!

However, today I decided enough was enough and that I was going to clean up that dust, at least the worst of it.

It's interesting what I think about when I'm doing something like cleaning up concrete dust...

What if I lost it all?
What if God let something tragic and devastating happen in my life...
What if seemingly impossible things were asked of me?

Would I care about concrete dust in my basement?
If everything was stripped away, and I looked back at my life, what would I regret?

Not the messes I neglected.
Not the unfolded laundry,
not the undecorated walls in my living room.

I wouldn't regret the temporal things.
I would regret time not spent loving others.
I would regret time not spent enjoying my daughter,
and time not spent enjoying my husband.

When something is ripped from your life, and you know there is hope but have no control of your circumstances, what do want back?
A chance to laugh.
A chance to love,
and a chance to live.

So many times I ask God, "why did that happen?"
Not only in my life, but in the lives of those dear to me.
There are so many unanswered questions in the minds of my friends, my family, myself.

But God knows.
He knows.
When Jesus was on the cross, He felt every sin of the world.
Sins past, present, and future.
Sin brings pain, failure, hurt, and agony.
Jesus felt every single one of those things...

I can not fathom what Jesus felt.
But I can know that He knows, that He is holding me, and that He will bring healing.
I can know especially when I have no answers.
I can know because He who promised is faithful.

("Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23)

More than anything, I want my life to count for Christ.
There is no greater purpose in life.
When I gave my life to Jesus, I didn't receive an easy life, but I did receive a fulfilling one.

1 comment:

  1. Cleaning up after Katrina in '05 triggers thoughts in the same manner. The saints (not the football team) were so happy and thankful to the Lord that I was having more sense of what their material loss was than they were. Their thoughts were on the eternal, not the dross of this world. I was looking for a post on "the basement" since I spoke to dad "K" July 1. Am praying for your mil (mom-in-law) and all the emotions as the health issues are at the forefront. I am thankful to the Lord for His loving care as we all face various trials.
    In Christ, ken

    ReplyDelete