15 April, 2011

The Great Chair Experiment

In which two chairs get nasty tweed seats removed and are given lovely new seats instead.

Step 1: Due to pregnancy hormones kicking into overdrive, find out that the tweed covers on a set of chairs is horribly disgusting, and decide to re-cover them.

Step 2: After removing the fabric, and attempting to wash the foam padding (and then waiting 48 hours for them to dry, and finally putting them outside only to have them get rained on once they are finally dry), you will realize just how horrendous these seats are and buy completely new toppings for them.

Step 3: Borrow a friend's staple gun to put your new seats together. Discover that, while the gun works beautifully, the staples aren't quite heavy enough for what you want. Also discover that two major retailers don't carry staple guns, and have a light bulb moment when you remember another major store that does. Buy yourself a staple gun, complete with heavy-duty staples, to finish the seats that have now taken far more time than you ever dreamed.

Step 4: Reattach your new seats, and love that you just did an amazing project all by yourself, 9 months pregnant, and you have beautiful chairs to show for it.
(the actual fabric color is more accurate in the picture of the cushions.)
More details:
-I used scissors to trim my chair padding, and only after getting the fabric stapled on did I realize how the uneven foam showed through. Lesson learned: use an Exact-O knife, and trim to perfection!
-The hardest part of this entire project was pulling the old fabric off. The old staples were so rusted they mostly broke off or I just hammered them down in the wood because they wouldn't budge.
-I just got the new padding and fabric at Walmart. Gotta love the small towns. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment