30 March, 2011

Thankfulness

I have been reading this book lately:It is beautifully challenging.
I thought it was one of those books that would just help along those naturally happy feelings of thankfulness, and tumble my heart into a glorious feeling of gratitude and quiet. I started to wonder what everyone was raving about, and the first few chapters slipped by with subtle appreciation. I started my own list-a very personal one, something that is meant to be completely raw, genuine, and honest. I loved the challenge of finding thankfulness in each day, and exploring beyond those basics that I am always thankful for. Thank you, Lord, for this day, for my children, for my husband, for shelter, for food.
While I was muddling my way through those early pages, I witnessed situations arising that could be perceived as gratitude killers. I struggled to put words to my thoughts, to my emotions, even as I purposed to find gratitude in an ocean of questions. Then I read Chapter 5, and I am stalled and stunned by how perfectly it fit me here and now. My appreciation for this book has grown, and I'm thankful for Ann Voskamp and her heart in writing this.

If you would like to learn more about One Thousand Gifts and Ann Voskamp, visit A Holy Experience and explore.

"Be thankful to Him, and bless His name." -Psalm 100

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I just had that book recommended to me by several ladies in a small group I'm in (even though they are moms and I'm not). It was highly praised as something 'not always pretty' but 'beautiful still.' Thanks for adding your praise as well. The cover is pretty too, and I'm a sucker for pretty covers. Especially those 'soft' matte ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, whoops...I just commented under Justin's name accidentally...this is Nikki Moore! :) my comment is pretty funny when it sounds like it's coming from a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nikki, knowing that comment was from you and not Justin made it pretty hilarious to read!
    Anyway, I've appreciated One Thousand Gifts the more I have read it. I got it on Amazon, which seems to be a good price compared to retail. I hope you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete