14 January, 2011

Glazed Cinnamon Scones

Delicious recipe-I hope you get the chance to enjoy!

Scone Ingredients:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, slightly softened
1 egg, separated
3 T. honey
1/3 c. buttermilk (I used 1/3 c. milk with 1/2 tsp. lemon juice)

Crumb topping:
2 T. sugar (I used organic cane sugar, you could easily use sucanat.)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Glaze ingredients:
1 c. powdered sugar
2.5 T. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.

Separate the egg white and yolk. Set the egg white aside.

In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, honey and buttermilk (or milk/lemon juice mixture). Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Form dough into a ball on a floured surface. Roll or pat out to half an inch in thickness and eight inches in diameter. Cut into eight equally-sized pieces.

Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Whisk the egg white until froth forms and brush over the tops of scones. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over egg-white-topped scones.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until glaze forms. Drizzle over scones after they bake.

**Baker's Notes: I used a wooden spoon to mix my dough, but the very last bit was best done by hand to get a good consistency and to mix in all the dry ingredients. I also found it very easy to form the dough by hand rather than rolling it out. I also only needed to bake them for 9 minutes in my 400 degree oven, so take care not to overbake and pay attention-the only way to tell is whether the bottoms are browned or not. Baking them too long results in a dry scone.

The scones are excellent reheated, and I think would be amazing with a cream cheese glaze as well. With my sister and I making them for the first time, we had them done in 30 minutes including baking, so they are definitely doable for a fresh breakfast treat! (Oh, and this morning hubby said they taste like cinnamon toast crunch...hmmm...)

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment